Thursday, May 2, 2013

How I Make My Iced Coffee!



My sweet instagram friend, Amber was saying that she just couldn't get her iced coffee to taste right and I knew I needed to help her out! 

A few years ago I fell in love with a venti Hazelnut Breve Iced Coffee at Starbucks and just COULD NOT GET ENOUGH. I'd legit dream of them. A few months into my new addiction I KNEW that I could figure this out. I mean, it's coffee not rocket science... right?

Well, I'll let you know what doesn't work: Keurig, Instant coffee, Regular coffee maker....they just aren't the same. I can't put my finger on it but serious iced coffee lovers will know exactly what I mean! 

Right, so what does that leave?

COLD BREW. 

I've touched on this here with a review for the Toddy Cold Brew System. 

But I got bored with the Toddy. It was so big, it took a while to strain and I had to make so much at once that even a coffee addict like myself would find that it would start to taste stale. I needed a quick and easy way to make fresh iced coffee.

One day it clicked! YES! My french press! Same idea. Just smaller.

So here is how I do it! 

What you need:

  • A good coffee - I am only using this one because it's decaf and I was already at Trader Joe's. I prefer Starbucks Iced Coffee Blend found here
  • French Press - it doesn't need to be fancy, I think this one was around $20 
  • Syrup or some sort of artificial sweetener. Sugar will not dissolve since the liquid never gets hot. I buy my hazelnut syrup in a huge bottle for under $10 at my local starbucks (ask for a pump!). 
  • Half & Half 


How to:

Step one:
Fill the french press up with 80% water and 6-8 scoops of coffee - this is not an exact science - some like more, some like less, start with 6 and then move up or down from there. 



Step two:
Use the back of a spoon to press the coffee down. You don't want to stir just get all of the grinds wet. 



Step three:
Put the lid back on but DO NOT PUSH THE PRESS DOWN. Let it sit overnight. 



Step four:
In the morning, press down slowly, you'll need to use some pressure. Pour over ice and add your syrup (I do 4 pumps) and half & half (I just eye it - I'm not shy with it!). Put whatever is left in a mason jar or some other covered container! 




Ta-da! Perfect iced coffee! It's so smooth and refreshing! 

If you make it - I'd love to hear your thoughts! And as always, please let me know if you have any questions!! 

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Ummm YUM! I am so impressed. If I'm not making coffee with my Keurig, I'm a bit of an idiot haha but this looks easy enough! Will definitely be trying this one :)

Jenna said...

I do the same thing except I make a gallon batch at a time! Just put a pound of ground coffee in a really big bowl, pour a gallon of water over it, stir, then cover with plastic wrap and let sit overnight. In the morning, put a colander on top of a gallon pitcher, line it with 2 paper towels, then pour the coffee over it. Just store it in the fridge then pour it into a cup with cream/sugar when you want it! You can also do a half pound of coffee and a 2 quart pitcher :)

Chelsi said...

Interesting! As a former Partner at the Bux, I can't do old coffee or stale coffee either. Their iced coffee is brewed hot at double strength then cooled and kept in pitchers in the fridge and poured over ice as ordered. I do something similar but Im lazy and don't pull out my French press. Maybe I should.... Also, unless you're super partial to their hazlenut, check out a restaurant grocer near you for CHEAP syrups. Bottles are 3.50 apiece here. We have Cash & Carry / United Grocers but I'm not sure what you have on the East coast. :) I buy ghiradelli white chocolate this way also, my favorite!

Cole said...

Um, YUM!!!! I definitely need to try this. But, I'll be indulging in Starbucks "happy hour" for the next few days first. :-)

Nat said...

Ok I totally need to try this! I have an iced coffee obsession but just can't ever get it right at home so I always just head to dunkin donuts

Amber said...

I am using a french press next time!!! This sounds so yum!! Thanks girl!!

Blogger said...

Did you know you can create short urls with Shortest and make dollars for every visit to your shortened urls.