Friday, January 28, 2011

Struggle



Before we had Trey we had such a clean house. Closets were organized. Dishes were 100% done every night. I literally vacuumed every other day (just ask Whitney).

And now.... I get bottles washed and sterilized, the diaper genie emptied and Trey always has on fresh clean clothes.

But that's about it.

I'm a stay at home mom. Why is it such a struggle to get everything done? What is wrong with me that I can't manage to get a load of towels & dishes done while Trey naps? He's playing great in his exersaucer - why am I not taking that time to dust baseboards?

Why?

I don't know.

My dear friend J was over last Saturday and while she seemed happy to know that I'm a normal mom and my house ends up crazy. I think she was also shocked to see the state of my kitchen.

The funny thing? My normal control-freak, perfectionist-self didn't care. Not.one.bit. And it's not because she's my BFF, it could have been someone I barely know and I would have felt the same way.

For one of the first times in my life, I'm ok with being "real".

Because at the end of the day I know one thing... I don't struggle with wondering if I spend enough time snuggling, playing with, kissing, hugging, and just all around loving this little guy.


3 comments:

AndreaLeigh said...

Girl, this is a constant struggle for me. Honestly, I've just let it go. I only have so much time with Cooper as a working mom and so the time I'm with him is WITH him - not cleaning. On weekends, nap times are usually spent catching up on my sleep. Ha!

Seriously, they grow so fast. In a few years you won't remember how clean your house was but you will remember playing with your precious boy.

As Trey gets older and more mobile, it gets easier. Last night Cooper was "helping" me load the dishwasher. He plays around my feet as I get dinner ready. I've made him more and more of part of little household chores.

I've picked the things that are truly important to me, like making his food, for example. I spent a lot of time making his purees. It was important, so I made time. My shower being clean I could let go. My clothes can go back into the dryer to get the wrinkles out.

My house may never be truly clean again, but whatever. I'm happy and so is my baby and that is all that matters.

I can't imagine being a SAHM. My hat is off to you, seriously! The weekends are so incredibly busy, and I feel like all we do is play! I'm lucky, I think, in that Jason and I both work because as such as share the responsibility. I think if I was a SAHM I'd feel like I needed to clean and he just needed to kick his feet up.

When it gets too much or we have people coming over, I don't feel bad about giving him to Jason and sending them off to spend time together. Baby Einstein also buys me a precious 30 minutes.

I hope this made sense. I'm totally rambling today.

lg2006 said...

I totally agree with you! I had a very strict cleaning regime pre-baby, and I have struggled with letting that go and have finally decided that the important thing is time with him, not fresh sheets every week etc. I do what I can, when I can but I stopped sweating the messes and lack of organization as much.
I doubt we will ever look back and think "Gah, I wish I had spent more time cleaning house"

Unknown said...

There is no such thing as a spic -n- span clean house once you have kids. Even when they are old enough to help you clean, your house still isn't clean. Trust me on this. ;-)