Monday, February 7, 2011

Recipe: Fast, Easy, Healthy & Cheap!?

Last week I was grocery shopping with J at Trader Joe's (cause we're nerds and we would much rather go grocery shopping with each other than alone, or worse, the husbands). While there, we went to the back to see what they had on sample.

Because really, isn't the best part of grocery shopping the samples? I personally think so. Sometimes I get home and I'm not even hungry for the next meal.

They were testing out a new Mexican soup and let me tell you it was delish! J and I immediately snatched up the necessary ingredients and we were on our way.

Fast forward to Tuesday night, we decide to have the Mom-in-law over for dinner. I realized that I didn't really have time to make anything fancy so I pulled out the crock pot and decided to make the Trader Joe's soup.

Seriously, easiest thing EVER!

Ingredients:
1 Box of Chicken Broth $1.99
1 Container of Black Bean & Corn Salsa $2.99
1 Bag of "Just Grilled" Chicken Strips $4.69
Total = $9.67 + tax

And it gave us *very* hearty helpings for dinner for 3 people & lunch for JD the next day! (I also crumbled some lime tortilla chips I had on hand as a topping. I bet it would be great with a little bit of Mexican cheese sprinkled on it too.)



All I did was throw the ingredients in the crock pot for about 2 hours on low.

Right before we ate, I scooped the chicken out and cut it into bite size pieces and threw it back in.

Easy peasy. This is my new official *go-to* recipe for cold nights when I don't feel like cooking!

p.s. I don't really even like soup... That's how good it was.

3 comments:

Jules said...

This sounds great and it's been way too long since I've visited Trader Joe's. This recipe sounds and looks great. Thanks for sharing!

Beth said...

I don't have a Trader Joes near where I live, but I'm sure I could buy the ingredients at Walmart to make this soup. It sounds (and looks) yummy!

the workaholic momma said...

yummy - I made this yesterday and it was A-mazing:)