Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Toddler (Boy) Bookshelf




On my first ever outing with Trey I went to two of my favorite places. Starbucks. And Target. 

He was only about two weeks old and I was scared to death to be out and alone with him. 

Over two years later, this all seems so silly now as I'm writing it... 

We wandered the store. I sipped my coffee and he slept as shopped. I decided I needed to get him a little something for being such a good shopping buddy. But what? 

And then we found ourselves in the book section.

Oh how I love kids books, the colors, the stories, everything about them. Yes, I realize I sound like Kathleen from You've Got Mail... 

I have always loved to read and I credit my mom with 100% of that. She always said "It doesn't matter what you're reading as long as you're reading something". She was always more than happy to help contribute to my Golden Books/Berenstain Beers/Judy Blume/Babysitters Club/Goosebumps/Sweet Valley High collections. 

I came across a section of Sandra Boynton books (at the time I had NO clue who she was, which seems crazy as I can recite most of her books by memory now!) and Trey and I decided that "The Belly Button Book" needed to come home with us.


It is definitely one of Trey's favorites but we've accumulated QUITE a few more books ever since. 

A while ago Erin posted on her blog about her favorite kid's books and ever since I have wanted to share the favorites from our home!





I keep these brown baskets (from Target) throughout the house with books in them, I rotate the books between them and keep what we aren't reading at the moment on a shelf in Trey's closet. I have found that having easy access to them around the house equals lots more reading! We do a handful of books everyday before his nap and a handful before bedtime (which usually turns into.. "hooooow 'bout.... one moooore?") but we also love to just sit on the floor during the day and read.


 I've "caught" Trey "reading" to mickey quite a bit lately and think it's just the sweetest thing.

You can see lots of the ones that we love in the pictures but I'll link to what I'm pretty sure are our "favorite fifteen" right now!

(In no particular order...)

Trey's "Favorite Fifteen" books - at 29 months 

1. Llama Llama Red Pajama - We first stumbled upon the sweet, little Llama last year in Christmas book form and we have been obsessed with him since. We also have "Llama Llama Time to Share" and "Llama Llama Misses Mama". These books are so fun and I feel like I could have wrote them myself, I often joke that Trey is my little Llama!

2. The ABC Book - This was actually one of J.D.'s old books, we have quite a collection of Seuss books from when he was a child and I was so thankful that his mom saved them all. We had to read this book 2738 times a day for a few months straight. It really helped him with identifying letters, as well as distinguishing between upper case and lower case. And it's just a fun and super silly book too!

3. Only In Dreams - This one came from Trey's Auntie Mel Mel (my SIL) on a Spring trip she took to San Fran and hit up the Paul Frank flagship store. It's all about the fun you can have in dreams and features our favorite little monkey.

4. Goodnight Moon - Truth? I think this book is CREEP STATUS. That old lady whispering hush? Homegirl needs to hit the road. But KIDS LOVE THIS BOOK. I don't know why and I don't try to understand... even if it gives ME nightmares.

5. Little Blue Truck - I'm pretty sure it was a blog friend that first introduced us to Blue, and I am forever grateful. Everyone in our house loves this little beep, beep, beep.

6. Little Blue Truck Leads the Way - Blue part two! Trey likes to read this one first!

7. Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site - This is #1 in rotation for this week and Trey cannot get enough. I think his poor babysitter had to read it like 5 times in a row last weekend before bed. If you don't have this ORDER it!!

8. The Birthday Box - I love this author - the artwork is awesome and the books are so silly! We have a lot of fun with this one!

9. I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean - One of my friends (Hi MJ!) picked this up for Trey's birthday and we have been reading it religiously ever since. It's all about the different animals in the ocean, it's a really fun read.

10. Dinosaur vs. Bedtime - I have to give props to J.D. for picking this up for Trey all by himself. My Dinosaur voice has much to be desired but Trey gets HYPE for this one! (The dinosaur also goes up against the potty, the library & santa! They're all great!)

11. The Going to Bed Book - A long term, before bed favorite. I think we actually have a few copies of this..

12. Dear Zoo - It is always fun to read this lift-the-flap book on the night/morning before we head to the zoo!

13. Sheep in a Jeep - This is a GREAT rhyming book and it has a fun craft that goes a long with it too!

14. Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? - Classic. We love to make all of the sounds with dear Mr. Brown

15. Goodnight Beach - we picked this up on the way back from The Outer Banks last year and I'll be honest, I didn't think Trey would like it as much as he does. It's a bit unnecessarily wordy but he still asks for it quite regularly. Maybe it's just beach memories for him too!

What are your favorite children's books? Please share them in the comments I am always looking to pick up new ones and I know other readers will enjoy discovering new favorites too!

10 comments:

Cajun Cowgirl said...

Such a great list and post! I'll have to think about one of our own soon. We recently checked out both Train Man and Digger Man from the library and those have been great hits too!

Ashley said...

this is so great! thanks for sharing! :)

Lindsey said...

You need to check out Giggle, Giggle, Quack and Click Clack Moo Cows that Type. Connor can recite Giggle, Giggle, Quack by heart.

KatiePerk said...

I love the llama llama books! Great compilation.

Lynsey said...

We love the llama llama books. Mason also loves any of the Mercer Mayer books, Roadwork, My Truck is Stuck, Any Susan Katz books are fun little reads also.

Natalie said...

We love all Llama Llama books in our household and a store here even had Baby Llama all dressed up and your kids could meet him. The Goodnight Construction Site and Digger Man are also faves too!

Stefanie Blakely said...

I love this list-- can't wait to check out the ones we aren't familiar with. The birthday box is our FAVORITE!!

Anonymous said...

I don't have any recommendations for children's books, but I will definitely come back to this post since we will be buying some soon. So far all I have in the book category is a REALLY old nursery rhyme book that was my dad's and some children's Japanese books. Yeah... we have a long way to go! Ha!

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome list!! Love the Llama books :)

My daughter loves Robert Munsch books!

Great post!!

Andie said...

A favorite at our house is The LIttle Engine that Could- we got it from the Imagination Library- do y'all have that available where you live? Also, there is a book called "A Mud Pie for Mother" that Andrew loves as well as all of the Llama Llama books, Little Blue Truck, etc.

Another favorite is Brown Bear, Brown Bear and THe Very Hungry Caterpillar!